Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rants & Raves On This Frivolous Economy

I have recently found it slightly irritating when people decide to spend large amounts of money on extremely frivolous and trivial items.

A recent post to my Facebook read: "..Feeling like I need a new Coach purse."
Without rolling my eyes so far back into my skull that they miraculously did a 360... My thoughts are as follows..

Now, I don't want to make the awful stereotypical decision to say that everyone who wears $175 Jeans or everyone who carries an over-priced freshly skinned cow over their arm is "stuck up," However, you have to ask yourself, "Why are they really carring a Designer Handbag?" The most prominant cognitive intuition would be that she wants to be noticed and look as if she has money, therefor be put higher up on society's pathetic totempole. Who wants to be put there in the first place? Wouldn't you rather be noticed for your kindess, your sense of humor, your personality and attitude? Instead we (myself included) make that consious decision where, "I have to look good," "I have to get noticed," "People have to like me!" But doesn't it say in the bible, Romans 8:31 "What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?" SO TRUE! It doesn't matter what you LOOK like to the world, what color your hair is, what kind of shoes you wear. God looks at your heart, he will never turn away from you because of your t-shirt, your teeth, your finger nails. He made you that way! He made you perfect in his eyes!

...*Ahem* Back on track...

I have never spent more than $60 on one item of clothing.
I have spent, regretfully, $130 on my hair color, cut and style. However, it was only once.
I have never owned a designer handbag. Not only for the sake of not wanting to portray a "holier than thou" attitude but because I am surely not willing to fork out over $500 for something that carries my wallet and a tube of lip gloss!

My argument is simply this: In this time and economy, shouldn't we ALL be thinking about more important things? Shouldn't we be paying more attention to some of the most famous scriptures of the bible?

Matthew 19:21 "Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Matthew 6:20 "Instead, store up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust don't destroy and thieves don't break in and steal."

Now, ask yourselves, what are you holding dear to your heart? Those new shoes? That giant flat screen that would look "perfect" in your living room? Or is it God and his will for your life?

Think about that the next time you're at Nordstrom, Best Buy, wherever you can get your "worldly fix." Because I tell you, a life full of all the money and riches in the world cannot buy love, cannot make you whole and happy. Only Jesus Christ can.


Thank you,
~J